What is the Fine Arts Council?
The Fine Arts Council is a self-supporting, non-profit student organization whose members share an interest in promoting the arts at the University of Iowa. The mission of the Fine Arts Council is to provide support and to be available as a resource to University of Iowa artists. The Council has been active since 1970 and advocates a full range of art disciplines. Funds are raised by sponsoring and organizing two annual art shows/sales: the Holiday Thieves' Market and the Spring Art Exposé. A portion of these funds then go towards the Rague Bendigeri Scholarship. On occasion, members of the council will attend art-related events on campus as a way to become exposed to the art community at the University of Iowa and to support student artists.
While the Council is primarily composed of students, membership is open to anyone willing to contribute ideas, time, and energy to promoting the arts at the University. Membership provides students and others with an excellent opportunity to gain experience in art management, fund raising, art exhibitions, public relations, and advertising. All interested persons are welcome.
To become a member, please visit The University of Iowa OrgSync page. Also, fill out this application and turn it into us.
- Application (.pdf)
Membership to the Fine Arts Council is open to anyone interested in promoting the fine arts. In no aspect of its programs shall there be any difference in the treatment of persons because of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or associational preference, or any other classification which would deprive the person of consideration as an individual. The organization will guarantee that equal opportunity and equal access to membership, programming, facilities, and benefits shall be open to all persons.
Duties of Council Members include:
- Attend meetings and offer input in discussions and agenda
- Help plan events
- Expand our services by planning new events
- Help advertise events by hanging posters around the campus and in town
- Develop and maintain good communication with the University of Iowa and Iowa City community by promoting our events
- Volunteer at least two hours at each event (events are usually held on weekends)
- Be a jury member at art slide shows and choose artists for our exhibitions
- Represent people with an interest in the arts
There are some great opportunities and benefits to being a member!
- Meet others interested in the arts
- Gain valuable career experience
- Promote the arts in a positive and productive manner
- Network with professional artists and art dealers
- Expand the scope of the Fine Arts Council throughout the University of Iowa
Want More Information? Contact Us!
Have a question or a comment about our art markets or the Fine Arts Council? Let us know!
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org